Churches in JalandharJalandhar city has a multi ethnic culture due to its rich history. The place was invaded by different dynasties from time to time and it went under British regime before independence. During those times, the city was named as Jullundur by the British and that name continued for a long time till independence. The British impact on the city is clearly evident in the various churches that were established by them during their reign. Some new churches were also established in this region with the course of time.
Before independence, there was no diocese in Jalandhar. Rather this region along with many districts of Punjab and Himachal Pradesh was under Lahore Diocese. Jullundur was made Apostolic Prefecture in the year 1952 by Apostolic Constitution of Pope Pius XII and was looked after by British Province of Capuchins. This Prefecture status of Jullundur was raised to Diocese in 1971 and Rt. Rev. Symphorian Keeprath was made its first Bishop by Apostolic Bull. The main languages of this diocese are English, Hindi, Punjabi, Urdu, and Pahari. Main Churches under the Diocese of Jalandhar are:
St. Mary’s Cathedral Church in JalandharThis old Church was built by Rev. Fr. John McDonnell in the year 1847 in honor of St. Patrick. At that time, this church was looked after several Chaplains appointed by Diocese of Lahore. When the Catholic Mission of this region became the Apostolic Prefecture, Jalandhar was made its head quarter and St. Mary’s Church of Cantonment Jalandhar was declared to be the Cathedral or Mother church for the state of Punjab. In the year 1987, old church building was demolished to construct a new church at the same place. The foundation stone of this new church was laid down by Bishop of Jalandhar Diocese, Rt. Rev. Symbhorian Keeprath.
Along with its religious significance, St. Mary’s Church is also known for its unique architecture that reflects the secular culture of India. It is built to display the Cosmo- culture typically known to Punjab state. The inauguration ceremony of this venerated church was attended by dignitaries like Arch Bishop Jose Sanchez who was the special delegate from Rome sent by Pope John Paul II. It was inaugurated by Arch Bishop Agostino Cacciavillan, a Vatican ambassador. In the year 1989 on the auspicious occasion of Diwali, this church was pronounced to India in gracious presence of Archbishops and Bishops from different areas of the country.
Address: Jalandhar Cantonment, Sufipind
St. Luke’s Church in JalandharThis ancient church was built in Jalandhar Cantonment area in 1856 by the British regimen. It was consecrated by Bishop of Madras Diocese, Rt. Rev. Thomasin 1857. This church was exclusively established for the British Army soldiers and officers posted in India.
Image source: http://stlukesjalandhar.webs.com/
With its neo gothic architecture and the largest ecclesiastical structure of Punjab, this oldest church of this region is an impressive place to visit in the city. Since it was an Army church, its chaplain also used to be an army officer. The charge of this church was passed on to Indian congregation of Jalandhar in 1947 under Anglican Diocese of Amritsar.
Address: The Mall, Jalandhar Cantt, Jalandhar - 144001
Phone: 09815101564, 09464031864
C.N.I. Church in JalandharThis church was established in the year 1952 by Dr. Stickler, a catholic missionary who also founded United Christian institute in 1944. Its first regular pastor was Rev. D J Mannuel and this church was initially just a shed till 1958.
Address: GT Road, Suranussi, Jalandhar - 144027
St George Orthodox Church in JalandharThis church is under the Archdiocese of Malankara Orthodox Church and Diocese of Delhi. Its head is Metropolitan Job Mar Philoxenos. It is one of the very popular churches of Jalandhar.
Address: Jalandhar - 144048
Phone no.: 011 29956417
Other Churches of Jalandhar
St. Pius Church
GT Road, Jalandhar
Sacred Heart Church
Address: Opp. Desh Bhagat Memorial Hall,
Civil Lines, G T road, Jalandhar
Phone No.: 0181- 2222634
The Pentle Costal Mission Church
Address: Near Model School,
Model Town Road, Jalandhar
Phone No.: 0181- 2272730
Civil Line Jalandhar
Phone No.: 98724 - 49668, 0181 - 2223987
Mission Compound Church
Address: Mission Compound, Jalandhar
Phone No.: 98154-24725
Labour Christ Church
Address: 80, Kabir Avenue, Ladewali,
Phone No.: 0181 241 1490
Devi Talab Mandir in Jalandhar | Temples in Jalandhar
- SHARE THIS
- TWEET THIS
- SHARE THIS
- LOVE THIS 0